The original land description of the area we now call Bird’s Point was SW & NW 28-18-3 W of 2ndin the Provisional District of Assiniboia, Northwest Territories.
The first registered patent holder of this parcel was Count de Cazes from France. He was married to Eliza Bird who was a relative to Dr. James Curtis Bird.
In 1890, the property was deeded to the executors of Dr. Bird’s estate. Jack and Colin were young orphaned children, Jack received the property and sold it to his brother Colin.
The old, stone house was built in 1882-83 by Swedish stone mason, E.A. Berg. During the time that Colin Bird owned the property, there were many visitors with an interest in horses and racing. Because of this, a race track was located south of the house.
The land and house were sold to Mr. Shoulden in 1905, then to Mr. Hegyi in 1917. In 1921, P.S. Stendahl purchased the property. His three sons, Carl, Oscar and Edward Stendahl, inherited the property which still belongs to Edward, Astrid (Carl’s widow) and Bob and Lois Rowe (Carl’s daughter).
Edward remembers there was a hotel at Bird’s Point resort when they bought the property in 1921. P.S. Stedahl operated the resort. He also rented it to several people.
Al and Peggy Westergaard of Bowbells, ND became renters in 1935. Alan and Jenny Franson took charge of Bird’s Point in 1940 until Al’s death in 1944. Jenny Franson managed the resort until 1945, when P.S. Stendahl sold it to Earl and Grace Stotesbury. At this time, there were several cabins and a dance hall.
Tony and Lance Morgan became the resort’s new owners in 1954.
In the spring of 1955, a severe flood caused extensive damage to properties around the lake. The original Bird’s Point store, hotel and dance hall were destroyed as well as a majority of the cottages.
The Morgan brothers built a new pavilion following the flood. Many people from surrounding locations remember those “lake dances” and names like “The Guess Who” and Buddy Knox.
(an excerpt from the preamble in the Round Lake Millennium Cook Book)